Friday, July 24, 2009

A robust worldview (Part 1)

In I Thessalonians 5:21, Paul states, "Test everything. Hold on to the good." Paul invites testing and we should too. Peter said, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. (I Peter 3:15)." Peter and Paul are both talking to Christians. If you are a Christian, can you give a defense for the Christian worldview? I've heard Christians say countless times, "the Bible is too hard to understand." When I reply back, "Do you read your Bible?," the response is usually no.

How can you defend that which you do not know? How can you test, if you are not familiar with truth? In today's society we have too many people who say they are Christians, but don't even know why they are Christians. Peter and Paul are telling us that we need to know why. Maybe if you are not concerned about knowing why, you really are not concerned about Jesus? Jesus emphatically stated to his followers in Luke 6:46, "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"

No comments: